15 October 2007

FRA Relays and CompassSport Cup Final



This weekend I headed back to the UK for my fell running club's national relays champs, and my orienteering club's national team competition champs. I flew in on friday, and they lost my bag.

Saturday was the Fell Running Association Relay champs, and I was running for my club Mercia. With a full team, we were favourites to take the title after 2nd place 3 times in the last 4 years. Unfortunately we lost our 2 top runners to work and a broken arm. We still had a good team though, and finished 5th, but we were never in the hunt for a medal. Maybe next year.



I ran a pretty good leg, running the pairs navigation leg. I was stronger than my partner, so I was pretty comfortable all the way, and doing the navigation, which was made more interesting by the low visibility.

Results here. Event website here. Navigation leg map here



My bag turned up later that evening.


Sunday was the CompassSport Cup, the premier club team competition in Britain. 25 in a team, each run your own agegroup and score points which are added up. We (OD) had won for the last two years, and arguably had a stronger team than ever, but so did some other clubs. The race was hosted in Blidworth, which lived up to its poor reputation as a nasty brambly forest. The map wasn't great, but the planner did a reasonable job of making a course with some interesting legs and route choices. I ran pretty well, felt strong, and won the race comfortably. Liis won the women's course, and OD won overall for a hattrick of titles, which was nice.
Results and route gadget etc here.


1. OD 2197
2. Nottingham 2152
3. South Yorkshire 2130
My bag got lost on the way home too.

No comments: