30 March 2008

JK and Gothenburg





A bit late I know, but I have been in Gothenburg with the British junior team all week, preparing for JWOC. The JK long distance went really well for me, I felt very strong for almost 90 minutes, and it was my best race technically of the weekend. I chose some good routes, and I missed less than 1 minute on the whole course. This was partly a reflection of the course, which was not overly difficult, without many shorter technical legs. It is a lovely place to run though, and I was pleased to get past the 14th control before Daniel Hubmann (my 3 minute man) caught me. I hadn't really decided on a strategy for when he came past, but I decided to stay with him for a bit (to 15 and 16), then I ran straight to 17 when he went along the road. I missed the control a bit and got about 15 seconds behind, but then I caught him again on the long leg to 19, and it was easy to run together from there to the finish. I finished 2nd behind Daniel, and also for the weekend overall. Only slight problem was I strained my calf a little bit towards the end of the race.






Results and routegadget etc here


The relay was the conclusion to the weekend. My team OD finished 5th (3rd British team) which is pretty good. Luckily I was able to cruise last leg a bit as we had a bit of a gap, so I could rest my calf a bit.


Then it was off to Gothenburg, where there was about 30cm of snow. I did some control hanging etc, trying to protect my calf a bit, and now I am back in Stockholm. I am going to rest my leg for a few days now, so it is better for the GB camp to Czech coming up soon.

5 comments:

Matt Rooke said...

"hadn't really decided on a strategy for when he came past"

be positive!

Matt Rooke said...

and I thought you always got your yearly hair cut before they JK?

gg said...

its colder in sweden....

Anonymous said...

What was it like running alongside the great man?
I know he's not that much above your standard but for mere mortals such as us..

gg said...

well....
running full speed all the time without hesitation and not missing any controls, and with that full speed being pretty fast...